We are accepting submissions for our annual Homecoming 2021 event series, and we want to hear from you!
Submission Deadline: Monday, May 24, 2021
The Homecoming Week event series is a networking opportunity for GIS practitioners of African descent and allies. It provides a platform for showcasing the role of GIS in understanding, articulating, and resolving problems confronting underrepresented communities. This year’s themes include entrepreneurship, socio-economic justice, and the impact of under-representation of Black people and other racialized communities.
Please join the conversation!
Showcase your expertise, collaborate with peers, and share your stories with an international community working to advance opportunities for Black people in GIS. This event series is an opportunity to amplify you & your work.
We are seeking participants at all career and entrepreneurial stages, including:
- Students from High School to College
- Professionals just starting out to seasoned experts
- Entrepreneurs aspiring to exceptional
What should you present in the NorthStar Event Series?
We are seeking content and presentations that reflect the theme (The Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity). Your presentation should tell an inspiring story that illustrates how you are using GIS to reflect the theme and/or positively impact your community or industry.
Why should you present in the NorthStar Event Series?
- You Deserve Recognition – Get recognized for your achievements and enhance your professional profile.
- Increase Visibility – Increase the visibility of your organization and your project.
- Provide Mentorship – Help somebody else who is facing similar challenges.
- Engage Your Peers – Discuss your work in a meaningful way to a variety of individuals.
- Get Feedback – Receive valuable feedback from your peers. Are you on the right track?
- Celebrate Excellence – Help us celebrate exemplary applications of innovative GIS Technology!
Topics to Consider
- Time Periods
- Contemporary Life, Post-Civil War, Reconstructiion Era, etc.,
- Community & Family Topics
- Community Resiliency & Sustainability, Health & Wellbeing, Economic Growth & Prosperity, etc.,
- GIS & Tech Interests
- Data Management & Analysis, Geospatial Technology Innovations, Inspiring the Future of GIS & Education, etc.,
Submit Interest to Speak
Please submit a brief description of the content, expertise, or experiences you are interested in discussing.
NorthStar uses demographic data to inform efforts to increase representation, belonging, and inclusion for people of African-descent in GIS as well as our efforts to promote racial equity and workplace equity more broadly. Accurate and complete information shared with us allows the NorthStar to gain a more holistic picture of real experiences, outcomes, and interests of people engaged in the study, practice, and profession of GIS, location intelligence, and related fields and disciplines.
None of the demographic information collected by NorthStar will be sold.